|NYU campus, photo credits.|
Not so great? The price. The tuition is $5,500 for the 6 weeks, with about $12001 for housing in the dorms.
I applied for the program in late March, figuring that A) I probably wouldn't get accepted because there are so many extremely qualified applicants and B) I could always choose to decline and remain in Sacramento.
I received an email in mid-April from NYU informing that I had been accepted.
I didn't know whether to be overjoy or depressed. I spent a long time considering my options. It's a lot of money (not even taking living expenses into consideration), there's no guarantee I'll get job offers after the program, and I'll have student debt for the first time ever2. Something else I needed to consider: my job would be unable to "hold" my position for me for 6 weeks. Taking this step not only has no guarantee of employment, but will actually cost me my current job.
I enjoyed my position with 1776 Productions, I had a good roommate, I had friends in Sacramento... but this is nearly a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. I could decline and reapply next year, of course, but there's no guarantee that I'd get accepted again and I'd probably be even more entrenched in Sacramento than I am now.
So I asked myself, is being comfortable with my work and my living situation now worth more than the exponential increase in opportunity by taking this course and moving the NYC? After talking things through my family, best friend, and boyfriend, I realized that this was something I had to do.
I want to work in publishing. Publishing is (mostly, though with notable exceptions) in New York. Ergo, I needed to go to New York. I wouldn't move to New York without a job, but I could move there for school. I fortunately qualified for financial aid, so money *fingers crossed, be nice to me universe* shouldn't be an issue for the first few months. And without a job to go back to, I could stay in New York and follow-up on the connections I'm sure I'll be making.
The last time I made such an abrupt life decision, I ended up going to Australia. For someone who claims to be resistant to change, I now have a history of moving vast distances on short notice. It's not the change that I don't like, it's the infinite possibilities that change can open up that I don't like. Weighing the options is torture for me. Which is better for me now? Which will be better for me in the future? Will the option that seems better for future-me really turn out to be a terrible decision? How much would I regret not doing it? Now that the decision is made and I've paid my deposits, I'm actually really excited to go.
Next month, Misadventures with Lisa will be in a new location: New York City!
1. $1,200 is roughly the cost for the 6 weeks of the course. I'm trying to stay for 10 weeks (1 before, 3 weeks after the program dates), which will be closer to $2,000. On the other hand, it's only about $800 per month in NYC.↩
2. Thanks, Mom and Dad!↩